Thursday, May 24, 2007

Today, I wrote the following letter to my Congressmen...

I sent it via e-mail through www.rallycongress.com/letter2congress/

May 24, 2007

Dear Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R GA),
Sen. Johnny Isakson (R GA),
Rep. Hank Johnson (D GA-4),

I am just an "everyday person" --a wife, and a mother of three young children, living in Atlanta, Georgia.

To me, "supporting the troops" means telling our soldiers that their lives are valuable, and as such, that we want to bring them home, and end the war.

To me, "supporting our troops" means electing leaders that will see the big picture: That Congress needs to cut funding for the war, and needs to start setting concrete timelines in Iraq; that a solution for Iraq must be focused on diplomatic means, not only on military efforts.

To me, it is NOT supportive of the troops to give them poor and dishonest leadership, to allow them to continue to fight in a war that had nothing to do with the tragic events of 9/11, and to leave them in the middle of another country's civil war.

To me, it is NOT supportive of our troops to send more of them into Iraq--inadequately trained--to be part of a "secret surge."

Lastly, it HAS NOT been supportive of our troops to give them repeated, and longer, deployments; to give them inadequate equipment and vehicles; to give them sub-standard medical care, and mental healthcare, and to restrict their access to the Internet, and communication with their families and friends back home (restricting them to censored mail).

Writing this letter to you is one of the things that I am doing to support our troops.

As it appears that our president does not have an effective plan to end the war in Iraq, it is then left up to our Senators and Representatives, to stand up for our troops--to do the "right thing." Please support our troops by ending the war.

My Name
My Home Address

No comments: